Thursday, June 26, 2008

Myrtle The Turtle

I don't know why people say Myrtle the turtle...is it the name of a character from a storybook, or is it simply because it rhymes? First I will begin with the Myrtle part:

Ahhhhh vacation, was it only a mere month and a half ago that Megan and I were in vacation heaven? YES! We began our trek by picking up the rental "potato" car. Megan decided that the car looked like a potato, so that is the wonderful name it became. We drove on our first day to Knoxville, TN. Can you say, YA'LL? We were given a tour of the athletic academic center by our good friend and then after driving on Pat Summitt Road (Yes, she has a Road, or maybe it was a Way, regardless she is someone). I mean I don't even have my rest stop yet...I have always wanted a rest stop named in my honor, mostly because I have to use them often, but also because it means you are a someone. Anyway, back to Knoxville and Pat. After driving on her street we went to eat at this cool place, I would name it if I could, but unfortunately I can't remember. It was something at the River - good food. Calhoun's! Calhoun's at the River, thank goodness Megan could remember. We then hit the road and drove through the mountains to Asheville, NC. This is home of the famous Biltmore Estate.

For those of you who do not know my mom, she is the queen of planning. She told me that we HAD to stop there, so to appease her we made a stop. This may have been one of my favorite things we did the entire vacation so I am so glad she is the planner. Thanks Mom! We happened to be there when the azelea garden was in full bloom. I may have taken 100 pictures of flowers - no joke. My friend Kate said this is on her top 10 list or something like that...put it on yours because it is worth it.


Now we were on our merry way to Myrtle Beach...trusting our handy potatoe and gps system to take us to the promise land. We stayed right on the beach and had a fantastic time. Some of the must do's in Myrtle: Ocean Annie's (very cool outdoor bar on the beach, live music all day and night), Dolphin tour, Brookgreen Gardens, Sea Captains House (restaurant).


So vacation is really over and just a memory now...kind of sad. But, that doesn't mean the fun stops. The weekend after memorial day, Megan and I went to the Memorial Tournament which is hosted in Dublin, Ohio. We were driving along on this beautiful, cloudless day, on a winding two lane road when we passed a turtle attempting to cross the street. This poor turtle was in the middle of the lane right near a bend in the road, thankfully it was around 8:45 am and the traffic flow was light. Megan and I felt so bad we turned around to rescue the little turtle. Megan ran out, picked him/her up, he/she peed from fright while Megan ran him to safety. The tournament was fun to watch, but for some reason this is my memory from the day!

No comments: