Monday, September 08, 2008

Festivals and Parrot Heads

June and July have come and gone and the only exciting theme I can think of is festivals….isn’t that thrilling?! In late June Megan and I went to Columbus for the weekend of ComFest. This is an annual festival which incorporates themes of social justice, environmental consciousness and ideas of democracy. There are also great food vendors and the music line-up is first rate. Honesty, people go to drink, eat and listen to great music in an environment that promotes the ideas I spoke of above. For anyone that is interested in attending next year, here is a link to find out more info - http://www.comfest.com/index.htm.

My long time friend, and roommate my senior year of college, Megan Palmer, was among the many great music entertainers for the festival. Friday night she played with a band called the Spikedrivers http://www.thespikedrivers.com/index.php and they kicked off ComFest with hundreds to maybe even thousands of people. Megan rocks! Megan also has been on her own for the past few years and her albums are impressive to say the least! Go to her website to check out her latest cd http://meganpalmer.com/. Unfortunately, on Saturday when we were waiting to listen to Megan play solo, the heavens opened up in a torrential downpour! We took cover on the porch of a nearby condo that was vacant because it was up for sale. There were about 6 of us crammed onto that porch! The funniest part of the weekend was that women can walk around topless….so there were a few brave hippie types that had painted art where they should have a shirt. Imagine this sight as the rain begins - women running, body parts-a-flying, paint dripping off!

Near the end of July was my return to a Jimmy Buffett concert. I can not, however, say that I have ever tailgated in the way in which I did this time! My friend Jeff Edwards, from Terre Haute, informed me he would be going to the concert as well. He joined a group called the Hautian Parrot Head Club! This group does it up right for Jimmy! I can not describe it, but I do have pictures. Jimmy did not disappoint, but I don’t know how many more years he has in him to be touring like this.



July brought us another of our favorite festivals in the Dayton Celtic Fest. Every year Gaelic Storm comes to play at this festival and they are absolutely awesome! It never fails that each time I attend this festival, yes I have gone three years in a row, that I want to go back to Ireland. Had I been younger when I vacationed in Ireland I would have tried to move there, work in a bar, and live it up! Ahhhh the memories. So now it is onto August and school is around the corner. I am not sure what exciting festivals and concerts are to be shared in the near future, but stay tuned…

No comments: